Updates every Wednesday, and some other days too! And here's some extra text because stupid Blogger forces everything to left-align!

Tuesday, May 22, 2012

'Cause y'know, as much as I love politics...



   I’d really like to try and keep this blog as much away from controversial topics as I can. I mean, don’t get me wrong. I love controversy. I’m that guy who goes down to the corner outside the Planned Parenthood building where the pro-lifers are with their beach chairs and picket signs so I can debate the topic with them. I’m not just trolling them, of course. I’m usually just honestly curious as to how many of them are there because they’re informed and have made solid, fact-based opinions on the matter and how many are there because (censored) abortion, killing babies is bad. (…Okay, so maybe a little bit of trolling.)
   However, as much as I hate to admit it, anything to do with politics these days pretty much falls under the controversial topic category. Not necessarily because the material itself has any real weight in morality or anything, but more because the general public seems to have no idea that the term “debate” does not in fact mean “heated and fallacious argument because I’m right and you’re ignorant”. Considering that my usual debates these days primarily relate to Marvel’s obvious superiority over DC or whether Green Lantern is a more worthless super hero than anything Marvel has come up with (in case you were wondering, he completely is), I’m usually thrilled to get any kind of political discussion. And subsequently, I’m usually very disappointed with the way they turn out. I’ve discovered that most people who are willing to discuss politics are either avid internet article browsers, or Glenn Beck disciples. (I don’t identify with either party currently. I only claim to be conservative, for the time being.)
   I’ll make one thing clear here: I do not claim to be knowledgeable in political concerns. There are very few reliable and factual sources available to the average person for staying accurately informed on political issues. In my experience, the vast majority of internet articles, websites and even television channels present their facts in a highly biased and/or persuasive way rather than objectively, and I’m far too disinterested at this point to seek out the exceptions. I am, however, strongly opinionated and willing to take a stand and discuss the issues on which I’m actually well-informed. In turn, I’m also highly amused if somewhat disappointed by the arguments and suggestions presented by opinionated people who are not informed.
Which brings me to the point of this entire post. The other day I was browsing Let’s Play videos on YouTube (typical afternoon activity for me) when I stumbled across this particular gem in the comments section of a video:
[Redacted] wrote:
“do not worry for if i come into power one day, i will call the troops back home, eliminate about 70 percent of the useless over the counter drugs, make a law where you must have a license to have children,which max limit that can be made after it passes is 2, this will stop teen pregnancies and start to get a grip on the population, and for the justice system it will be very simple, eye for an eye times 2, there will be no favoritism ,including stars being treated like every 1else”
   Now, I’ll be honest here. I have no way of telling if this person actually felt this way or was just being a troll. However, in addition to failing to see exactly what this comment (or the related discussion) had to do with a Skyrim Let’s Play, I found it so amusing that it ended up in my Facebook status. I’m not even going to bother delving into the number of things wrong with this masterpiece of a comment, as I think it speaks for itself well enough.
   I’m fairly convinced at this point that the internet serves a higher purpose. In a time where so many people ask, “In today’s age of self-glorification and entitlement, what can I do to establish myself as a moron in the eyes of the highest possible number of people?” the internet provides the answer with “Comments” sections.
I said it once before in the aforementioned Facebook status, but I’ll say it again here: Opinions are like fetishes. Almost everyone has one, but not everybody needs to know what yours is.
                                                                                                                                   -The Sarcastic Soul-

No comments:

Post a Comment